The school’s policy is that all children’s needs should be met as far as possible in the classroom with appropriate levels of differentiation from the class teacher and additional support from experienced and qualified Teaching Assistants. The school actively promotes small classes across the age and ability ranges. In English and Maths we have especially small groups of no more than 15 with at least two adults for the children who learn more slowly than their peers. However, some children do require interventions when their attainment and/or progress is a concern. We have two designated areas for 1:1 and small group interventions (2-
The school uses a range of programmes in its interventions. These include Rapid Reading, Rapid Writing, Sound Training, Rapid Maths, Numicon and First Class in Number.
At St Egwin’s CE Middle School, our intention for Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) is to ensure that all children receive a high-quality and ambitious education regardless of need or disability. Students identified with SEND are valued as individuals with a God-given uniqueness and are respected as such. We believe that it is vital that our pupils are equipped with the tools needed to become independent, inquisitive learners both in and out of the classroom.
Through our high-quality planning, teaching and provision we:
• Work with our feeder schools to build on the work they have completed in the early identification and intervention for SEND to ensure that progress and opportunities are maximized.
• Ensure that all students have access to a broad and balanced curriculum which is differentiated to enable them to understand the relevance and purpose of learning.
• Endeavour to develop children’s independence and life skills so that they can move on to High School with confidence.
• Regularly monitor the progress of students with SEND, using whole school data drops whilst maintaining a child-centred, individual approach.
• Provide good quality and relevant training for all staff members supporting children with SEND.
• Work holistically in partnership with the student, their parents and carers and any external agencies and other professionals to hone and develop our provision for children with SEND.
At St Egwin’s CE Middle School, every teacher is a teacher of SEND. As such, inclusion is a thread that runs through every area of the school enhanced by collaboration between senior leaders, teachers, support staff, external agencies, parents and most importantly, the student themselves.
At St Egwin’s CE Middle School, students with SEND will:
• Be included in all aspects of the school day and any enrichment activities with curricular displacement kept to a minimum.
• Be provided with quality first wave teaching, differentiated to account for their needs.
• Be respected as unique individuals with their contributions valued and acknowledged.
• Be assured that the SEN department and whole school will regularly tweak provision to meet need as part of the ASSESS-PLAN-DO-REVIEW cycle.
At St Egwin’s CE Middle School, pupils with SEND may:
• Have specific 1:1 or small group intervention to support either specific need areas whether this be cognition and learning, communication and interaction, social, emotional and mental health or physical impairment.
• Have additional support from our school counsellor, educational psychologist or other external specialist teaching teams and professionals.
As a result:
• Children at St Egwin’s CE Middle school feel happy, safe and respected and this is reflected in student voice activities.
• Behaviour at St Egwin’s CE Middle school will be exemplary and diversity celebrated.
• Children demonstrate high levels of engagement in activities, developing their speaking, listening and social skills.
• Children with SEND make good progress at St Egwin’s CE Middle school from their starting points.
• On leaving St Egwin’s CE Middle school, students with SEND will have developed good independence and life skills and feel ready to face the future with confidence.
The school’s SEND policy can be found here
For information about Worcestershire County Council's SEND Local Offer service click here