JOB TITLE: School Caretaker
GRADE: Scale 3 Point 6 (pro rata salary £15,760)
HOURS: 30 hours per week term time (39 weeks) over a split shift (7–10am / 3 –6pm)
Additional 6 weeks per year worked in the school holiday periods to include:
3 x half term holidays, 1 week in the Easter holidays and 2 weeks in the Summer holidays.
START DATE: Monday 28th March 2022
RESPONSIBLE TO: Business Manager
To maintain a clean, attractive, secure, and welcoming school site through a process of regular scheduled maintenance of buildings, grounds, fixtures, and fittings.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
· To undertake basic handyperson duties as necessary (e.g. replacing light bulbs, securing broken windows and doors, general repairs in school).
· To ensure that the premises are opened prior to the start of the school day and secured at the end of it.
· To operate and monitor heating, plumbing, and electrical systems in accordance with instructions and current safety legislation and ensure that the most cost-effective use is made of such systems.
· To operate any fire & burglar alarms as directed.
· To undertake cleaning duties that occur during the school day, which cannot be left for contract cleaning staff.
· To undertake porterage duties as required.
· To set out and clear away tables and chairs in school halls as required for lettings or school events.
· To clear up paved areas and playgrounds on a daily basis (i.e., by disinfecting drains, picking up litter, and emptying litter bins and clearing grids).
· To act as the keyholder and to be available for 'callouts' out of normal working hours during specified school holiday periods.
· To undertake weekly checks of the school minibus vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
· To undertake regular health and safety checks of buildings, grounds, fixtures, and fittings including firefighting apparatus and other safety equipment in accordance with schedules.
· General painting and decorating of the school premises during the holiday periods in order to keep the school in a tidy and well-maintained manner.
· General daily maintenance of the outside areas such as sweeping of leaves in the Autumn, spreading of salt grit on icy mornings.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED
· Relevant qualification and/or experience/practical skills in one or more of the following areas:
· Organisation and communication skills to include basic IT skills
· The ability to support staff and respond to external contractors through fluent and accurately spoken English
· Knowledge of Health & Safety; manual handling; COSHH (training will be given)
· Work constructively as part of a team, understanding school roles and responsibilities and own position within these.
Pupils, teachers, support staff, cleaners, contractors.
For further details and an application form, please email Mrs Suzanne Thomas at:
Please visit www.st-egwins.worcs.sch.uk for further details about our school.
The school is committed to equal opportunities, safeguarding, and promoting the welfare of children.
Closing date for applications: Monday 31st January 2022 (Midday)
Interviews: week commencing Monday 14th February 2022
Full interviews will be conducted in school in line with any COVID guidance at the time.